[Wiki Loves Monuments] Please put the mobile app banner on your country sites

Philip Chang pchang at wikimedia.org
Wed Sep 5 21:06:14 UTC 2012

Maarten, thanks for reminding us of the documentation.

There has been a change of direction due to the slow uptake of the app. We
are now working on a universal banner for the Wikipedia mobile site, which
could be closed by the user. This is experimental and may have to be
limited in duration or modified.

It would be helpful to put a download link in the campaign headers. For
example:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Template:Upload_campaign_header_wlm-us/en&diff=prev&oldid=77305694

This is another request, in addition to the banner in the
wikilovesmonuments sites.

Please let us know soon.

Thanks.

Phil

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 1:00 PM, Maarten Dammers <maarten at mdammers.nl> wrote:

>  Phil forgot to mention the documentation at
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Wiki_Loves_Monuments_2012/Mobile_banner. This page explains how to enable it in your language.
>
> Op 5-9-2012 0:42, Philip Chang schreef:
>
> Hi All,
>
>  The contest if off to a good start but traction for the mobile app is
> lagging. So far we have 300+ uploads and about 1500 installs of the app.
>
>  In some countries, the app will broaden participation, so it is a good
> idea to let your communities know the app is available. We have created a
> sample banner here:
>

> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wiki_Loves_Monuments_mobile_application/Marketing#Editable
>
>  Which you can modify as desired. The text is editable so it is easy to
> translate, or feel free to change the text.
>
>  The download link is in the banner text and graphics and QR code, so
> don't worry about that.
>
>  Please let me know if you have any questions. We can help with
> re-formatting.
>
>  In addition, we are seeing some mobile/tech press attention in the US,
> so the app could help your overall PR efforts. For example:
>
> *
> http://allthingsd.com/20120904/wikipedia-mounts-massive-monthlong-photo-competition/
> *
>

>  Thank you.