[Wiki Loves Monuments] WLM banner problem

Tomasz Ganicz polimerek at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 23:05:29 UTC 2012

2012/9/5 Platonides <platonides at gmail.com>:
> On 05/09/12 00:14, Béria Lima wrote:
>> Not even give a link to the picture in the land page (for sake of
>> following the license?)
>>
>> Is quite strange to fight copyvio and then do not follow the license in
>> the picture we use in the banner.
>> _____
>> /Béria Lima/
>

> He's the author and has given a reasonable objection to the way we are
> using the file*. I'd remove it and replace with a new file made by us.
> Using some WLM 2011 pictures for instance (even though we should still
> provide some credit).
>
> (* Actually I think Newton2 deserves more credit than Saibo for that
> picture, even though the photo shadows are cool, but both should be
> theoretically credited, plus Paulrudd and Mikel Ortega, whose photos
> -embedded in the original file albeit mostly hidden on the thumb- are
> not CC-BY compatible)

Exactly :-) Honesty - I don't see anything creative in puting other
person picture on top of the file and just shift and add some
shadow... But anyway - WLM logo is under CC-BY-SA 3.0 - so using this
logic we violate also copyright of this:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:LUSITANA_WLM_2011_d.svg

and in fact even harder :-) It is not credited on our banner but also
on pencils, buttons, T-shirts etc... I guess some direct agreement
from Lusitan is needed to be signed with WLM organisers...

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/