[Wiki Loves Monuments] WLM banner problem

Tomasz W. Kozłowski odder.wiki at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 23:04:11 UTC 2012

Hi Platonides and Pete,
in any case, we cannot use an image licenced under a Creative Commons
licence (which disqualifies almost all pictures from Wiki Loves
Monuments), as they all require an attribution (the name or pseudonym
of the author/copyright holder) and a URL to the licence text (not the
deed!).

(Please also note that Susana specifically mentioned she does not need
to be attributed to when the WLM logo is used in relation to the
contest; however, the licence still requires a working URL to its
text, so we are violating its requirements here, too.)

I agree that we (the Wikimedia community) should set an example in the
usage of freely licenced files, so I am thinking as what we should do
here.

We have two options: (1) remove the image created by Saibo from the
banners (but we should then also remove the WLM logo) or (2) add
working links to the images in the banners, and possibly also protect
their description pages; this would, however, mean that we'll need to
rebuild the templates so the links work for the files as well as for
the websites; to do that, we could only use the text as the link.

Tomasz