[Wiki Loves Monuments] Acceptable licences (UploadCampaigns options)

Tomasz W. Kozłowski odder.wiki at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 21:23:07 UTC 2012

Hi all,
I think we might have missed that topic before, so I'd like to raise
it now, when we are only at the start of the competition, and the
eventual losses are smaller :-)

One of the main ideas of Wiki Loves Monuments, and I think that we all
agree about that, is to make the competition as easy as possible for
the participants. In this spirit, several of our tools (including the
UploadCampaign) were designed, and we also agreed on some of our basic
principles at the 2011 meeting in May that some of you might have
participated in.

One of this principles was to choose only one licence acceptable for
all pictures uploaded as part of Wiki Loves Monuments--and, for
obvious reasons, this licence is the Creative Commons Share-Alike 3.0,
also knows as CC-BY-SA 3.0.

To achieve that goal, we have enabled only this licence in our
UploadCampaigns on Commons; so if you see it's there, please /do not/
change it or add other licences; this would only make things harder
for those of the participants that use the UploadWizard--and they are
mostly fresh newcomers, who have never heard of MediaWiki before.

This is more of a philosophy idea than a copyright-related thing,
because obviously nobody is going to check pictures uploaded by
Wikimedians with Commonist or other mass-upload tools; if you want to
read more about the original philosphy behind the competition, please
go to <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Wiki_Loves_Monuments/Philosophy>;
it really is an essay worth reading.

All questions are, as always, welcome.
Thanks,