[Wiki Loves Monuments] 2013 - wanted: volunteers for the coordinating team

Lodewijk lodewijk at effeietsanders.org
Thu Oct 11 12:54:52 UTC 2012

Hi all,

2012 has been the second year that we have an international Wiki Loves
Monuments competition, and it is quite a ride! While we're not finished yet
with this years competition, it is probably good to look forward to 2013. A
number of countries have indicated they would love to join next year. Some
who have already participated this year, some who will be joining for the
first time. Some who participated this year, but not to the extent they
would have liked to.

But for a smooth organization, we will need a dedicated volunteer team for
the international coordination. This year the team consisted from Maarten
(Multichill), Elke (Elya), Tomasz (Odder) and myself with the valuable
support of Barbara who was working from the Wikimedia Deutschland office.
At least a few of this team have indicated that they are unlikely to help
coordinate to the same level as this year.

Lets put it bluntly: without coordinating team, there will be no
international competition for Wiki Loves Monuments in 2013. So the question
is... are there any volunteers?

Maybe you wonder what this coordinating is all about. Most of it is stuff
that others will never see. Talking with network partners, keeping track of
status and documentation, a whole bunch of technical stuff in tool- and
database maintenance and also a lot of knowledge transfer to local teams
(chats, meetings, workshops). The time it costs can vary widely, but should
not be underestimated (I think a few hundred hours is on the lower side).
Of course the more skills and people, the less work per person.

Would you be interested? Just drop me a note or ask some questions on this
list, in a chat or somewhere else. We don't need to make this decision
right now - but if we want another WLM international - we will need to get
started with budget requests pretty soon thanks to the more complicated
budget allocation rules we're facing. I'm happy to help get that done - but
only if I'm confident that there will be a great team once again :)

I'm looking forward to any questions or emails on this topic.

Best,
Lodewijk (not on behalf of anyone)