[Wiki Loves Monuments] Long Term - a bit different

Peter Ekman pdekman at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 19:38:29 UTC 2012

I'm pretty encouraged by the several responses to my "different"
proposal, in particular Basvb and Lodewijk (below)
My proposal in brief - move toward a platform/permanent organization
that supports multiple contests on multiple topics at different times
of year, with less stress on bigness and more on retaining
contributors.

I'll write it up - with other suggestions from here hopefully - and
place it in the discussion at Commons

I should have listed "large % of content soon used on Wikipedia" as a
strength - and that should be a continued emphasis

My "(Perhaps) ... lack of success" comment re: retaining contributors
was overstated - I only mean that we (like every other Wiki project
which has attempted this) has a lot of room for improvement.

Lodewijk doesn't seem to me to be disagreeing - just looking at the
same things with a slightly different POV.  In particular, while
"everything" might in the very long term be considered something
Wikimedia Loves, I'll suggest we gradually expand from our base of
monument-like things, to anything that is within the Commons project
scope, has the backing of a large or very enthusiastic group of
Wikipedians, which is likely to organize the contest (with our help)
in the best traditions of WLM.

We supply the experience and expertise. Tools and basic standards.
They supply enthusiasm, manpower.

More later.

Pete
User:Smallbones