[Wiki Loves Monuments] Update: Designing Wiki Loves Monuments calendars

Nicole Ebber nicole.ebber at wikimedia.de
Mon Nov 21 12:05:04 UTC 2011

Dear all,

we are still discussing about the layout of the WLM calendar.

Current status is: http://etherpad.wikimedia.org/WLM-calendar

I have been talking to some friends about the design of the calendars.
Two things:

1. The size of the images: Is the designer allowed to cut / crop the
images to make them fit into the design? Of course, within reasonable
margins, with commons sense. I have attached an example of the lol
porn calendar, which I find quite nice. But since we have different
formats and sizes of images (imagine one image like this on the page:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/78/St_petersburg_4.jpg/600px-St_petersburg_4.jpg),
it would anyway be difficult to have all pages look equally nice.

2. Do we really want these blank fields for handwritten notes? In my
opinion, the calendar should be more like an art calendar than a
"practical" thing. Everyone carries around their calendars in their
pockets, you don't need to "disrupt" the well and cleanly designed
calendar by writing some stuff on it. The value of the calendar lies
in the images, not in the calendar feature.

What do you think? Add your comments to the etherpad, please.

Best,
Nicole

--
Nicole Ebber
Projektmanagerin

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Eisenacher Straße 2
10777 Berlin

Tel.: +49 30 219158260
http://wikimedia.de

Helfen Sie mit, dass WIKIPEDIA von der UNESCO als erstes digitales
Weltkulturerbe anerkannt wird. Unterzeichnen Sie die Online-Petition:
http://wikipedia.de/wke/.

Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.
V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig
anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
Steuernummer 27/681/51985.