[Wiki Loves Monuments] Queries about WLM

effe iets anders effeietsanders at gmail.com
Mon May 16 15:43:16 UTC 2011

Hi Strainu,

thanks a lot for your mail, it sounds great that you are participating, and
the news was received well during our meeting in Berlin (by coincidence, we
had a WLM meeting in Berlin this weekend). Welcome Nicu to this mailing
list!

Partnering with an existing Open Source group might indeed be a good idea to
handle some of the more practical stuff.

Am 13. Mai 2011 11:20:08 UTC+2 schrieb Strainu <strainu10 at gmail.com>:

> Hi guys,
>
> <snip great news>
>
> However, I still have some outstanding issues:
> - Romania does not have a freedom of panorama law, which means that
> some monuments will not be eligible for ditribution under a free
> license. How did other countries in the same situation handled this?

Unfortunately more countries are having this problem. Basically the lack of
Freedom of Panorama means that participants will not be able to submit
images of buildings which are still within copyright. This means you have to
create the list of all monuments, and find a way to figure out which are and
which are not in copyright. I am not even close to an expert on Romanian
copyright law, so this is something you should be working on probably. If
there is a way we can help, please let us know.

If this information is in the lists, we can tell participants they can only
submit photos of a certain subcategory of the monuments - the PD ones.

> - Lodewijk, you said that we'll probably need to use the WMF
> trademarks. Could you be more precise on what part of the contest are
> you referring to? Also, if you could put us in contact with the WMF,
> we would be most grateful.

I will contact the Wikimedia Foundation and ask what is the most practical
approach here. I know that there is at least one more country without
chapter that is considering to participate, so we might encounter this
another time.

You would need this trademark mainly to be able to tell people that they are
participating this contest to help Wikipedia - strictly speaking this would
not be necessary, but our experience is that it increases your odds quite a
bit.

> - regarding the Cultural Heritage Organization in Romania, I know
> about CIMEC [4], and I also found a contact person on the European
> Heritage Days page [5]. Again, any help on this side would be much
> appreciated

Maarten Dammers is in contact with the Council of Europe and CARARE, and can
probably put you in contact with your national organization. Maarten, can
you please try to help them out?

I am looking forwards to any updates! If you need any further help or
advice, please let us know, we are happy to assist in any way possible.

With kind regards,

Lodewijk