[Wiki Loves Monuments] Begin of May update

Maarten Dammers maarten at mdammers.nl
Sun May 1 13:35:17 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

We've been busy so I have a lot of good news :-)

Netherlands
We already have some partners and sponsors for WLM in the Netherlands.
Last Wednesday we had our first workgroup meeting for Wiki Loves
Monuments at our shiny new office in Utrecht. We're going to give extra
attention to "offline" promotion of the project, something we identified
as a weakness last year. We're also going to organize some local events
(like last years Wiki Takes Haarlem).

Europe
For the European part of Wiki Loves Monuments got in touch with several
potential partners.
Carare (http://www.carare.eu/) supports us with contacts at the moment.
You might remember by email about Video and Wiki Loves Monuments. I got
a response from the Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision: They
would like to sponsor a European price for video.
This week I got a call from someone from the Counsel of Europe (the
people organizing the European Heritage days). They're willing to
support the project. I'm in contact with them to discus how exactly. For
the Counsel of Europe the European aspect of the project is very important!
As you might know Wikimedia and Europeana have regular contacts. I
visited them this week to discus several things which included Wiki
Loves Monuments. They're willing to sponsor the project with a nice
price and maybe more. One of the things they would like is to somehow
have a link between the photographs taken as part of WLM and their
collection. We've discussed several options like a matching game or a
special focus on Art Nouveau. Any idea or suggestions? This is probably
one of the things we want to discus in Berlin.

Europa Nostra, Creative Commons, OpenStreetMap and the European Route of
Industrial Heritage are still on my list. Suggestions on other
organizations to contact are welcome.

Looking forward to see you guys in Berlin!

Maarten