[Wiki Loves Monuments] Missing coordinates

Strainu strainu10 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 08:22:18 UTC 2011

2011/6/13 Jean-Frédéric <jeanfrederic.wiki at gmail.com>:
> 2011/6/13 Maarten Dammers <maarten at mdammers.nl>
>>
>> Did anyone already try to use the Google Geocoding API [2] to get the
>> coordinates?
>
> I did. I put together a proof of concept using Google Docs, see
> <https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjZN8eBGaLjSdGg5WDY3OUFJRmk0NmNLRFFLSnJ6ckE&hl=en_US&authkey=CNSs97UN>
>
> This uses OSM API and GMaps API − At first look, OSM does not return that
> great results, GMaps works better.
>
> I was unsure of what to do with it (whether or not it was precise enough to
> mass-geoloc items)
>
> To my understanding, Poulpy already did something along those lines − can
> you confirm ?

Unfortunately, searching for the address field is useless for
monuments outside of cities (at least for RO). We have indications
like "2 km SV of the village church" or "in the garden of the
elementary school in the village", which are totally useless, both in
GMaps and OSM searches.

I would very much prefer to look for the code or the name+city name,
but of course this would mean custom tools for each country, as one
would have different keys in OSM depending on the country.

Strainu