[Wiki Loves Monuments] Missing coordinates

Maarten Dammers maarten at mdammers.nl
Mon Jun 13 10:41:25 UTC 2011

Hi Jean-Frédéric,

Op 13-6-2011 11:38, Jean-Frédéric schreef:
> 2011/6/13 Maarten Dammers <maarten at mdammers.nl
> <mailto:maarten at mdammers.nl>>
>
>     Did anyone already try to use the Google Geocoding API [2] to get
>     the coordinates?
>
> I did. I put together a proof of concept using Google Docs, see
> <https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjZN8eBGaLjSdGg5WDY3OUFJRmk0NmNLRFFLSnJ6ckE&hl=en_US&authkey=CNSs97UN
> <https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjZN8eBGaLjSdGg5WDY3OUFJRmk0NmNLRFFLSnJ6ckE&hl=en_US&authkey=CNSs97UN>>
>
> This uses OSM API and GMaps API - At first look, OSM does not return
> that great results, GMaps works better.
Looks cool!

> I was unsure of what to do with it (whether or not it was precise
> enough to mass-geoloc items)
A coordinate is better than no coordinate at all. From that point on we
can start improving coordinates. We need of course somehow to indicate
that the coordinate is derived and might contain errors. On the other
hand: The coordinates we get from sources also contain errors so there
is no real difference. I do wonder if the error rates are about the same.

Maarten