[Wiki Loves Monuments] A task management tool needed

Platonides platonides at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 20:29:12 UTC 2011

On 10/12/11 18:56, Tomasz Kozłowski wrote:
> Our requirements for the tool (except those obvious ones) are as follows:
> 	* it has to be free (US$0);
> 	* it has to be able to set dependencies;
> 	* it should allow the users to use their own accounts;
> 	* it should allow the users to set&change a task owner;
> 	* it should be as accessible (mobile versions) as possible.
> 	* it has to be in English :-))
>
> This week, I've went through a huge amount of on-line task management
> tools and the one that suits our needs the most is: <http://todo.ly/>.
>
> Please play a bit with the tool and state your opinions :-) And if you
> know a tool that's better than this one, please let us know as soon as
> possible!
>
> Thanks,

I find its UI very pleasant but it seems oriented to a single user using
it for its personal tasks on their servers.
Several limitations, such as only allowing very short summaries, or
projects amongst several users, are reserved for Pro users.
Being single-user oriented, I don't see history features or authorship
tracking either.

About the other versions mentioned:
> http://www.wunderlist.com/
The options seems too limited for collaborative tasks. Note that the
published source code is the one of the desktop install.

> OTRS
It's not suitable for tracking tasks.

> http://www.openatrium.com
This looks good. I saw many options non-related to our case, due to
being based on drupal, but seems to have the needed features.
There's no demo of it, I had to do a local install, although it wasn't
complicated.

> http://www.redmine.org/
While others were too limited, this one seems too powerful.
As it needs Ruby on rails, it's probably not easily installable.

> http://www.mantisbt.org/
Also a bug tracker with many optins, but simpler. <s>Looks easy to
install.</s>
It *is* easy to install. We should apply some cosmetic changes to hide
fields like "Steps to reproduce" intended for bug reports.

> http://www.bugzilla.org/
As those two are generic bug trackers, let me also add bugzilla.
Its main benefit is that some people may already be familiar with it due
to its interaction with https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/

> https://www.pivotaltracker.com/
I created an account but I didn't receive the email with the
confirmation link.

My opinion would be to go with mantis.