[Wiki Loves Monuments] copyright

Jane Darnell jane023 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 09:14:06 UTC 2011

Hi all,
Since this thread seems to just be about Estonia, I looked up what is
available now on Commons for Estonia, and there are lots of buildings there
already with this template:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:FOP-buildings-category_warning
pasted above the category here:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Buildings_in_Estonia
<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Buildings_in_Estonia>When I read
the text of that template it just says that buildings whose architect died
more than 70 years ago can be photographed for Commons. However, I see that
here
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/COM:FOP#Estonia
it states that in Estonia, the fair use policy applies to ALL buildings, not
just the ones younger than death-of-architect-plus-70-years, EXCEPT when the
building is not the main subject of the photo.

This sounds like the Italian situation and therefore that all photos in that
category need to be deleted if "the building is the main subject".

The way I interpret this now is that this photo
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Haapsalu_castle.jpg
should be deleted, but this one
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Haapsalu_linnus10.jpg
is OK (view of the lake in the distance is the subject)

The way to technically get around this one is to make sure that the object
is NOT the main subject of the photo. Then all is well.

hope it helps,
Jane