[Wiki Loves Monuments] copyright

Tomasz Ganicz polimerek at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 17:24:57 UTC 2011

2011/4/24 Raul Kern <raunator at gmail.com>:
> In Estonian Wikipedia we have a copyright exemption
> (http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Licensing_policy) for
> photos of buildings, statues etc., whose authors have not died
> recently (70 years after death hasen't passed yet).
> These photos are tagged with http://et.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mall:KunstiteoseFoto.

Do you mean the pictures of objects of which their architect or author
has not died before 1939 ? What is a legal basis to use these pictures
on Estonian Wikipedia if the freedom of panorama does not work? Is
there any other copyright exemption for such the pictures you can use,
or is just a kind of "fair use"?

If there is any exempt in Estonian copyright law, except fair use -
which allows to use such these pictures in Estonian Wikipedia - there
is no reason why not to let it upload to Commons...  Simply this
exempt should be properly described on Commons.

Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/