[Wiki-offline-reader-l] Wiki-offline-reader-l and Emmanuel

Emmanuel Engelhart emmanuel at engelhart.org
Sun Aug 20 11:29:33 UTC 2006

Hi Zuir DJ,

your story confirms what almost all of us know : we need an offline-reader as
soon as possible with at least :
- good looking articles -> HTML dump
- a search engine

I work on one and will release the code at least until 6 weeks.

I will made an anoucement on this ML.

If you are interested in the requirements document, I can send it to you...
but it's in french.

Best regards,

Emmanuel

PS: Sorry for the big approvement delay.

Le Lundi 24 Juillet 2006 05:31, Zuir DJ a écrit :
> On 7/232/06, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Emmanuel :
> >
> > A simple offline reader ready in time for wikimania would be
> > excellent.  What language are you working in?  Is there a public code
> > repository?
> >
> > Some people at One Laptop per Child are working on an offline
> > reader/writer for mediawiki style dumps in python; this will be used
> > to read ebooks, other texts, and wiki dumps... perhaps some coding
> > collaboration is possible, where the specific specs of different
> > projects overlap.
> >
> > SJ
>
> Hi!
>
> I don't have technical skills (even-english-writing-skills), but want
> to share my adventures :-)
>
> Last November i was invited by Gleducar and the organizers of V
> Jornadas Regionales de Software Libre, a congress organized by FLOSS
> community in Rosario, Argentina, to speak about wikimedia projects.
> Gleducar is an argentine association who promotes the collaborative
> knowledge construction, using MediaWiki to create free content for
> schools [1].
>
> To take advantage of my visit, argentine wikipedians organized a
> meetup [2] [3]. We discussed about the project and searched help from
> Gleducar and FLOSS community to create a Wikipedia CD version in
> spanish. Last year, Chilean and Argentine governments started a new
> project called "My First PC", a plan aiming to create a cheaper
> personal computer that low-income people could purchase. An OhMyNews
> report said [4] :
>
> "The plan, in the same vein as those adopted by India and Malaysia,
> which have reported having success with theirs, was not very welcome
> in Chile. The reason for the anger is that "My First PC" incorporates
> Microsoft Windows XP Starter Edition, making the license price 20
> percent of the total price of the computer. Open-source defenders say
> that you can get a better operating system for free. "My First PC"
> also includes the Encarta Encyclopedia, tacking on another 12 percent.
> Critics say users could save their money if they use, for example,
> Wikipedia, or search for information on the Internet."
>
> As a response to the bloggers and media support, we thought that could
> be a great idea to search a solution to create the spanish CD version.
> In the meetup we evaluated the germany version, that I saw at 'mania
> 05, and we didn't like it. We thought that our solution would not have
> to be based in a LAMP-like technology, and we preferred a simple HTML
> static dump. Finally, we found Tim Starling's static dumps [5] [6].
> Tim's solution is just what we needed, but it doesn't have a search
> engine included. That dump can be navigable offline by any web
> browser. If you do a wget of that site now, and burn a CD with the
> contents, you have a Wikipedia CD version, including the images from
> Commons. Tim hasn't made any new dump since November 2005. You can
> [...]

Les maladies sont le plus court chemin de l'homme pour arriver à soi.
					   Thomas Bernhard "Perturbation"