[Translators-l] About link target and cache in translation text

mathieu stumpf guntz psychoslave at culture-libre.org
Fri Jan 27 10:56:33 UTC 2017

Hi,

So I just finished the Esperanto translation of "Message group > All
 >2017 Wikimedia Movement Strategy Portal
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Translate&group=agg-2017_Wikimedia_movement_strategy_process&language=eo&filter=&action=translate>"
(reviewers are welcome), and I'm begining to look at the result
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2017/eo> to
see if I see problems which are more obvious in context.

Falling in this criteria, is the string "Strategy/Wikimedia
movement/2017/Team", that had been (oddly) translated to
"Strategy/Wikimedia movement/2017/Teama", probably from the idea it
would be a section title, as it's a common formatting in (at least)
Technews.

But it happend to in fact just be a internal link target. So, I went
back to the translator interface, searched "2017/Teama", found a string
and replaced it with the original string. Now going to the resulting
page, it doesn't change anything, even after a "?action=purge" and
browser cache cleaning. So, ever translation have an other specific
cache, or the message I reversed is not the one I'm looking for, but
then I have no idea how to find it, as "2017/Teama" doesn't return
result anymore. Do you have any idea what's going on?

An other point I noticed, is that translation variables carrying a link
target might inconsistently include the "Special:MyLanguage/" prefix or
not. So sometime you do have to explicitly add "Special:MyLanguage/" and
sometime, you shouldn't, as prefixing it multiple time will only perform
the redirection for the first occurrence. That is
"Special:MyLanguage/Special:MyLanguage/Example" will lead to the page
"Special:MyLanguage/Example".

Also, how can I find the history of a specific string? I think the
translation interface should provide some direct link to the string
dedicated page. What is your opinion about that?

By the way, do we have consultation statistics for each page easily
accessible somewhere? I think it would also be interesting to have a
direct access to something like that, along the "This page was last
modified on" statement.

Kind regards,

Mathieu