[Translators-l] Tech News translators: dates in recurring items

Johan Jönsson jjonsson at wikimedia.org
Tue Jan 24 06:44:45 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 7:09 PM, Pols12 <poltron54 at gmail.com> wrote:

> According to me, it’s a real improvement.
>
> How can we edit or suggest an edit to the date format?
> Indeed, we used to use non-breaking spaces in French dates.
> Pols12

Hi!

So, not having an opinion on how the French dates should look, a general
reply regarding how to change them if you want to:

If you're happy with how the dates look, you just keep
{{#time:$defaultformat|$date1|$format_language_code}} (and $date2 and
$date3), but if you want to change something, you just replace
$defaultformat in the string. For example, to get the same thing but with a
non-breaking space, you use this instead of $defaultformat:
{{#time:j xg|$date1|$format_language_code}}

Help:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:ParserFunctions#.23time

The tricky thing to remember is that you need to use unicode characters if
you want to write text or add things like a non-breaking space, because the
function will transform the n to the number of the month and the s to
seconds past the minute if you write  .

//Johan Jönsson