[Translators-l] MediaWiki and NASA

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Mon May 16 17:18:59 UTC 2016

I think that Chinese are Russian may be targetted for ANY translation as
they are major languages of the world. We could have well targetted
Japanese (due to the active presence of many Japanese-speaking contributors
in Wikimedia), jiust like we have French, Spanish, German or (Brasilian)
Portuguese.

Ideally we should also target Hindi (now the only national official
language of India, English having second rank in this most-populated
country of the world that also has dozens of regional languages, official
in some of its states) and Arabic.

This is not specific to NASA subjects, and we could as well have spoken
abut some news event about the Russian, European or Chinese space agencies.

Anyway Russia, Europe and China have also important space programs and
cooperate with NASA in various projects. They are not really competing in
many of them, when cooperation is the only way to advance. So there are
also US astronauts and searchers involved in Russian and European programs,
and Russians cosmonauts and serchers in US and European programs.
May be only China is apparently wanting to make its own program (with
little collaboration with US, Europe or Russia).

But are space programs in genenal really a major topic for Wikimedia? My
opinion is that it is still a secondary topic compared to major ones about
the Earth itself (geography, seas/oceans, geology, nature and life species
in general) and its population and their languages and cultures... and
compared to the Wikimedia focus of helping giving access by them to (at
least basic) education (improving the litetracy levels, education about
health, environement, economy, professional skills), and to news to better
understand the world where they live and help organize their own life,
along with others in a sustainable society where they will cooperate easily
and safely.