[Translators-l] new messages for the Content Translation extension

mathieu stumpf guntz psychoslave at culture-libre.org
Mon Dec 5 18:22:46 UTC 2016

Le 05/12/2016 à 16:38, Philippe Verdy a écrit :
> In most wikis, verbs used in UI buttons or links are using the
> infinitive form rather than the imperative.
>
> It is more formal/polite as the imperative sounds like you're giving a
> strong order, when in fact you're just describing the action that will
> be done **if** the user follows the link or click the button.
Well, sure, that's what I usually do, and as far as I can remember,
that's what I learn in human–computer interaction courses. Amusingly,
Esperanto doesn't have imperative, instead you use volitive
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volitive_modality>.

> Notes:
> * Some languages still prefer using the imperative form in a less
> formal form. Sometimes they also do not hesitate to talk directly to
> the user, such as German using "Du" rather than the formal "Sie" for
> translating the English "you". Still, German also has a more "formal"
> translation using infinitive and "Sie", with a language variant coded
> as "de-formal".
> * Some other languages prefer the formal form by default, but also
> have an informal form, such as Dutch, with a language variant coded
> as "nl-informal".
> * With these variants, users can choose the correct form they prefer
> and that sound look more correct for them.
How nice, surely I should write a "fr-informal" and "fr-crude" or
whatever the English grammarians  use as translation of "vulgaire
<https://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/Cat%C3%A9gorie:Termes_vulgaires_en_fran%C3%A7ais>".
And hopefully we might even be gratified with non fr-fr proposals! :)