[Translators-l] Ready for early translation: Tech News #40 (2015)

Johan Jönsson jjonsson at wikimedia.org
Fri Sep 25 21:34:10 UTC 2015

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 10:37 PM, Nick Wilson (Quiddity)
<nwilson at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>> On 25.09.2015 21:59, Purodha Blissenbach wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,

>>> under the heading 'Changes this week' is a contradiction. Either it
>>> is there since this week, or it will be there in the future but not
>>> this week.
>>>

> Hi,
> I wrote the "new beta feature" line with the future tense, to match the
> recurring "The new version of MediaWiki will be on [...]" item above. This
> seemed logical to me, because when the message is delivered on Monday the
> feature will not yet be available, but will become available during the week
> (Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday) as the deployments roll out to each group of
> wikis. I think that is the intended use of that section, but possibly I've
> misunderstood?
> Hmmm, I've now looked through the last few issues, and I see a slight mix of
> present and future tense in the "Changes this week" section (e.g #34 says
> "You can soon watch when something is added to or removed from a category"),
> but mostly present tense. I agree this is worth clarifying/standardizing in
> future issues.
> HTH, Quiddity

I've previously mainly been using "now" but changed everything under
"changes this week" to the future tense because there has been some
confusion: when it's delivered on the Monday, editors have gone
looking for a certain feature or change they have been promised in the
present tense, only to find it hasn't been deployed yet and won't be
until e.g. Thursday.

//Johan Jönsson