[Translators-l] 3 minutes of your time: a video about editathons

Purodha Blissenbach purodha at blissenbach.org
Thu Jun 4 07:59:27 UTC 2015

Hi,

nice video in a typical American style.
Trying to "sell" that elsewhere in the world is, uhm, problematic at
least.

For our culture, if Jimmy was speaking at half the pace, better less,
we had chance to follow the subtitles.
As it is, is is plain not usable.
It goes as a strange piece of artwork that noone understands, but is
"Nice, a nice specimen. Nod. Nod." :-)
unless you are familiar with America, and even then, its is likely
simply too fast for most to understand.

Btw.
As a general hint to all the many "outreach" people there - as a
translator I have been following your struggles to some
extent for a while - if you do not learn to become culture independent
which as per my impression you do not and you will not,
give up your current approach and hire locals.

Purodha