[Translators-l] [Wikivideo-l] Best practices for identifying video in Wikipedia/Commons?

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 21:35:04 UTC 2015

Andrew Lih, 10/12/2014 22:11:
 > 2. These are the most popular long GIFs on Commons, used in en.wp:
 >
 > EC-EU-enlargement animation.gif 53
 > Linguistic map Southwestern Europe.gif18

Cute, language issues win the laurel of complexity requiring animation?

Andrew Lih, 22/01/2015 20:06:

> However, I do wonder how often these videos are actually played, given
> how OGV and WebM are not widely supported by default.

We'd certainly love to know that as well (although the video cost only
few thousands euro). We only have collateral metrics i.e. page
description visits, as usual.

> Full list:
> https://tools.wmflabs.org/bawolff/usedVideosCommons.htm

And the first by usages in articles is probably
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Second_world_war_europe_animation_small.gif
Still less than EC-EU-enlargement animation.gif perhaps? Peace prevails. ;-)

Nemo