[Translators-l] a gadget to hide apihelp

Siebrand Mazeland siebrand at kitano.nl
Sat Nov 15 23:18:20 UTC 2014

Another tip: We're preapring many changes to the API Help messages at the
moment. Translating them now will probably mean that you'll have to deal
with a lot of small changes later on[1]. Another reason why you may want to
hold off on translating many API Help messages...

[1] The first 250 changes:
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/169534/3/includes/api/i18n/en.json

On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 12:12 AM, Amir E. Aharoni <
amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A little tip to translators at translatewiki.net:
>
> I usually try to have the translation of several important message groups
> to my language at 100% or close to it. Among these groups is "Extensions
> used by Wikimedia".
>
> In the recent weeks hundreds of new messages were added to this groups as
> part of the Apihelp localization project.[1] Apihelp is generally a nice
> thing all of which should be translated, but I found this overwhelming:
> Apihelp is only useful to developers, while some important and highly
> visible messages in projects like VisualEditor and Flow may get lost among
> the hundreds of new Apihelp strings.
>
> So I wrote this little gadget in my user space:
> https://translatewiki.net/wiki/User:Amire80/common.js
>
> It adds a "Remove apihelp" link to the top personal bar near the Talk page
> link. Clicking that link hides all currently visible Apihelp messages in
> the translation view.
>
> Feel free to copy it and to improve it. I just made it in a few minutes
> and it may have bugs.
>
> Again: Please *do* translate Apihelp to your languages. Don't use the
> gadget to just ignore Apihelp completely - only to get through the time
> until it's all translated.
>
> Hope it's useful :)
>
> [1]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-api-announce/2014-October/000071.html