[Translators-l] Ready for early translation: Tech News bulletin #26 (2014)

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Sun Jun 22 05:25:37 UTC 2014

Note to translators; the text of one item is clearly misleading:

"You can now only move an image to the start of a paragraph, not to the
middle of it, so you don't accidentally split it".

In fact this does not apply to all images, but *only* "block images", i.e.
floatting or centered images. I suggest you replace the translation of "an
image" to "a floatting or centered image".

Effectively you can still place inline images (notably small icons, or
images replacing some complex text difficult to render in plain text)
everywhere in the middle of  a paragraph !!!

----

if it does not have **any one** of the following parameters transforming
them to centered or floatting blocks:

* <code>left, right, thumb(nail), framed, frameless</code>
*: These attributes generate a floatting image; even though they normally
don't break a paragraph, they may cause a line break with additional
vertical space to appear between lines, because floatting images are using
a "clear:left" or "clear:right" attribute which may cause the image to be
rendered at a lower position if there is already a floatting element on the
same side in the container block.

* <code>center</code>
*: This generates a centered block which breaks the text in the current
paragraph (or div) in two parts.

Other image parameters such as

* vertical alignment (<code>top, text-top, sup, baseline, sub, text-bottom,
bottom</code>)
* a simple <code>border</code>
* sizing paramers in pixels (<code>''width''px</code>,
* an alternate wikilink target (<code>link=''pagename''<code>)

do not cause an inline image to become a block image.

Inline images can also be generated by a few other wiki elements (but it is
not clear if the change will apply to them, the question was not answered
in Bugzilla):

Unfortunately I regret that such Technews and changes are done without
prior discussions about them even if it's just to correct a few words. In
the short time given to translators, freezing these news and not permitting
any change can bring errors or interpretations. These tech news should
remain correctable, because they will also be archived. And at least such
change should always provide an apporpriate link to a discussion page (and
the talk page of Tech news, or even this list is definitely the wrong place
to discuss these issues, but Bugzilla maintainers refuse to discuss them
there !!!).