[Translators-l] Ready for early translation: Tech News summary #4 (2014)

Tomasz W. Kozlowski tomasz at twkozlowski.net
Sat Jan 18 18:23:41 UTC 2014

Hi again,
this is just to let you know that after reviewing Bugzilla bugs and
Gerrit patches that got fixed and merged since I last looked at them on
Friday, I froze this week's issue of Tech News and published its final
version at
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Tech/News/2014/04>.

Five new items have been added since my first e-mail to you:

* one about improved performance of the VisualEditor which should result
in faster page saves for users;
* one about yesterday's problems with connecting to the Tampa datacenter
which resulted in short outages of Bugzilla, Wikimedia Labs and the IRC
network irc.wikimedia.org;
* one about a new functionality of the UploadWizard extension which will
allow rejecting all files from specific Flickr users from being uploaded
with UW (through a blacklist);
* one about a new MediaWiki core function which will show users a
warning if they try to delete a page included in at least one other page;
* and, finally, one about disambiguation files being no longer listed in
the results of the [[Special:Lonelypages]] special page (a request first
filed in 2005).

/More importantly/, three already existing pages have been updated, too:
* <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translations:Tech/News/2014/04/36/en>
was updated to include the actual dates when the new version of the
MediaWiki software will be deployed to the wikis (since there will be no
deployments next week due to a holiday in the U.S.);
* <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translations:Tech/News/2014/04/37/en>
was slightly re-worded to be more precise;
* <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translations:Tech/News/2014/04/46/en>
now includes a translation variable (tvar) instead of a direct file link
for ease of translation.

Please make sure to translate the new items and update the existing
ones. From now on, there will be no more changes coming.

The newsletter will be distributed to subscribers at around 08:00 UTC on
Monday according to the publication schedule visible on top of the page
on Meta.

Please let me know if you have any questions, comments or concerns. I
appreciate your help, feedback and involvement.

                 Tomasz