[Translators-l] Ready for early translation: (short) Tech News #35 (2014)

Hong, Yena lists at revi.pe.kr
Fri Aug 22 15:50:16 UTC 2014

2014. 8. 23. 오전 12:30에 "Philippe Verdy" <verdy_p at wanadoo.fr>님이 작성:

> I think that the choice of Meta-Wiki for fosting cross-wiki personal CSS
and javascript is not a good choice. All wikis are already linked to
Commons that scales far better for all users, rather than Meta-Wiki which
is still small and not made for hosting these personal contents for
millions users

Commons is for media repository (images, videos, etc) , not for personal
contents like global.js/css. Also, Meta is probably chosen for
global.js/css storing location because already a number of users (including
me) uses global.js/css on Meta, not Commons.

> In addition there are far lot more admns and people helping on Commons
than on Meta-Wiki, and there are also some good translations in this
multilingual site.

> (but maybe developers think that the exploding growth of Commons causes
some long term risks for users as Commons has now difficulties to find
backuping mirrors due to its volume)

> Now we can expect many more users visiting Meta-Wiki and helping to
develop its content (notably pages about policies, chapters, groups;
strategic development; grants...)

>> Greetings,
>>
>> The latest tech newsletter is ready for early translation:
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tech/News/2014/35
>>
>> I'm planning to send the newsletter on Monday morning (UTC), as usual.
>> The existing translations will be posted on the wikis in that
>> language.
>>
>> This week's issue is very short because I've moved some of the
>> non-urgent items to next week, so that people learn about them when
>> they can actually see the changes and test the new features. It's so
>> short that it took me only 5 minutes to do the French translation :)
>>
>> I may make a few edits tomorrow (and remove empty sections), but the
>> content should generally remain fairly stable. I'll let you know
>> tomorrow in any case.
>>
>> Let me know if you have any questions, comments or concerns. As
>> always, I appreciate your help and feedback.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Guillaume Paumier

Yena Hong (Revi)