[Translators-l] Ready for early translation: Tech news summary #45

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Sat Nov 9 18:56:24 UTC 2013

Note that I fixed the [[Template:Translatable template]] (alias TNT) on
Meta-Wiki so that it can work with named parameters:

The [[Template:deadline]] now effectively shows its translation on
translated tech news subpages when it is used with its named parameter
specifying the target link.

The new version of TNT allows now arbitrary number of (positional, numbered
or named) parameters ; this will facilitate the conversion or easy creation
of many untranslated templates to translated versions without changing the
parameters, or forcing them to use only 3 positional parameters (by using
other specialized helper templates): to transclude the translated version
of any template, you don't need to tweak these parameters, you just need to
prefix the transclusion:
   {{name|parameters...}}
into
   {{TNT|name|parameters...}}

Note that with this syntax, explicitly numbered parameters in the
transclusion wikitext **still need** to be renumbered. I'll fix it next so
that you can avoid it when using the syntax:
   {{TNT|template=name|parameters...}}
For now it does not work, numbered parameters are always shifted down by
one position by the module when transcluding the target translated
template, like before, except that the existing TNT template did not use
this named parameter "template=name", which was however passed to the
target during the Lua module invokation)

I'm currently working on making it support the common language fallbacks,
as in [[Template:GetFallback]] and [[Template:GetFallback2]], and also
converting these two templates (similar on English Wikipedia) to use a
generic Lua module for language fallbacks, using BCP47 resolution rules
(plus fixes for some current (or remaining) violations of BCP47 by
Wikimedia sites, such as those listed and documented in [[Template:BCP47]],
needed for strict HTML conformance in the lang="code" attributes. This will
be a new module, later integrable in the Language module, after it is fully
tested.

The [[Template:BCP47]] is used for example in [[Template:Language link2]]
where there was:
which is now

Here also this BCP47 template should be part of the Lua module supporting
Wikimedia language codes (not MediaWiki language codes which should only
supports conforming BCP47 code), to help the transition to standards, or to
support graceful evolutions like "be-x-old" to "be-tarask", or to handle
legacy violations actively supported by Wikimedia (like "simple" instead of
"en" or "en-x-simple")

Let me know if you have ideas for better integration.

Philippe