[Translators-l] Fundraising_2012/Translation/Launch_email

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Tue Oct 16 16:15:27 UTC 2012

In my opinion, the paragraph starting by "When I founded Wikipedia",
should be placed above the two paragraphs written before. It placement
is not very logical, and its placement below them reduces the positive
effects of the arguments given in these two paragraphs, that give a
less personal (more collective) opinion that people will adhere.

No need to change the translations, just swap the paragraphs.

Also, even the source in Engliosh should use "$firstname $familyname"
instead of just "$firstname" for a good reason : it is a less familiar
language, more formal, and more respectful (also because some people
do not provide their first name completely, and will prefer to be
cited with their full name (as specified in their Wikimedia account),
or will have reversed the two account fields, but won't accept a
sentence using "Dear" followed by only their family name, as it is
also unrespectful in languages like French, where we want to see the
family name preceded by either a first name or a title like
"Monsieur").

Note also : the expression "Dear" has translations that depends on the
*gender* of the person. It is strange to have to use the neutral
alternative (masculine/feminine) when the user has explicitly stated
his gender (male/female/don't say) in his Wikimedia account.

So may be this small sentence should become 3 distinctly translatable
resources : one for "male", one for "female", and one for
"unspecified". This way the email would start reading in French :

- "Cher Jean Dujardin," (male gender)
- "Chère Marion Cotillard," (female gender)
- "Cher/chère ENIAC Computer," (unknown/unspecified gender, may be the
name of a genderless organisation)

Thanks.