[Translators-l] Call for volunteers for Translation Committee

Jon Harald Søby jsoby at wikimedia.org
Thu Jul 19 16:50:32 UTC 2012

2012/7/19 Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki at gmail.com>

> Hello, I don't understand what the transcom is going to do.
> Fundraising stuff and other inefficient WMF tasks (if any) should be done
> by the WMF itself now.
> Translate extension stuff should be handled by whoever is/wants to be
> translation admin as a Meta-Wiki process.
> The main task of the Transcom seems to be moving the old translations to
> the new system and fix all broken old translation requests but you imply
> that this will not be one of its tasks (otherwise they'd need to know the
> old system).
> In short, we should work on <https://meta.wikimedia.org/**
> wiki/Meta:Translate_extension<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meta:Translate_extension>>
> and make sure that Meta actually uses the Translate extension (currently
> only a fraction of the wiki uses it and it's a huge mess, worsened by the
> murder of [[TR]]).
>
> Nemo

You are right, moving over pages that need it is something the committee
should be involved in. Forgot to include that in the previous e-mail.

The thought here is to have several volunteers who are capable of handling
all things related to page translation with the Translate extension, who
can help Foundation staffers, Wikimania volunteers, chapters and whoever
need it when they have pages that need translation. It would only make
sense that all committee members are translation admins, and all
translation admins are committee members. Maybe it should just be called
"translation administrators group" or something, that is something that can
be discussed. Either way, the purpose is to assist people who are putting
up translations, as well as translators having questions.

I 100 % agree about transitioning pages to the Translate extension, though
I don't think it's a huge mess. The way it is implemented on Meta can be
improved, but a think "huge mess" is a bit of an overstatement.

Jon Harald Søby
Community Fellow
Wikimedia Foundation