[Translators-l] Two requests in preparation for the upcoming deployment of MediaWiki 1.19

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Mon Feb 13 22:15:06 UTC 2012

2012/2/13 Casey Brown <lists at caseybrown.org>:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Philippe Verdy <verdy_p at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>> The template also did not allow to display the link to the meta page
>> for all languages, despite those links were equally valid.
>
> That was intentional. It was to discourage people from trying to
> publish a translation that was not ready yet. They were still able to
> do it if they wanted to, but not with a convenient little link. They
> would have had to think about if they should really publish an
> unreviewed/unfinished translation beforehand. :-)

But given that these links will lead them to a read(only page, what is
wrong ? If admins can edit the target, or have already published a
translation, the link was already there: if the target was no
read-only, anyone other than the same admins could change it.

It is the protection level of messages that determines what can be
edited, but there's no reason to hide the read-only page, or to
complicate the task of voluntary admins, or not allow translators to
look at the current status of an existing translation compared to what
is in the editable page, so that they can signal unsynchronized
contents, by changing the status from "published" to "ready", when
they have corrected it (or when someone else made the correction but
forgot to change it back from "published" to "proofreading" and then
"ready").

Why then do you want to hide some of those links, but not all of them
? It's illogical, and certainly not motivated by a true security or
stability of the transaltion project. For me, it's ALL or these links,
or NONE of them, whatever their current editable status.