[Translators-l] Multiple Translation notifications - Broken Extension

Tilman Bayer tbayer at wikimedia.org
Tue Dec 11 22:17:50 UTC 2012

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 7:00 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
<nemowiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> An analysis of what happened was circulated a few days ago and now
> published:
> <https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/view/TranslationNotifications_issues_2012-12>
> It's fairly technical but it's supposed to help improve for the future,
> although so far it wasn't acted upon: «TL;DR: Changes in MW core exposed a
> bug in TranslationNotifications. The same bug is also present in other
> extensions. Many people participated in preventing further damage and fixing
> the issue. More work remains to be done.»
Since that report is not on a generally editable wiki, let me note
here instead that while it gives the impression that the first
duplicate notifications were observed at the end of November, this has
in fact happened at least twice before, in July and August:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Translation_requests#Double_notification

Examples: https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?diff=3964877&oldid=3964809
, https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?diff=4049992&oldid=4049949

Back then, the time between the redundant notifications was much
shorter, so the reason may have been a different one.

> We still don't know if the translation notifications should now work or
> what's going to happen to the job queue, nor how/if todays' jobqueue
> disaster
> (http://article.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.technical/65703
> ) may impact it.
Thanks to everyone who worked to resolve the present bug! I have a
small notification (Portuguese only) to send out soon, which should
make a good test case.

--
Tilman Bayer
Senior Operations Analyst (Movement Communications)