[Translators-l] Generic maintenance notice

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il
Wed Apr 25 20:08:09 UTC 2012

2012/4/25 Thehelpfulone <thehelpfulonewiki at gmail.com>:

> On 25 April 2012 19:50, Redaktor/פוילישער <wiki.pedia at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have just seen the generic maintenance notice come up in yiwiki.
>> Unfortunately it links to the English landing page, although a valid yi
>> translation of the landing page is available.
>>
>> How do we fix this?
>>
>> Percy
>

> Hi Percy,
>
> The actual link
> is https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Mylanguage/Wikimedia_maintenance_notice which
> means that if your language is set as English, it will be inEnglish, whilst
> if you have set your language to be Yiddish (through Special:Preferences),
> then it will redirect you
> to https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_maintenance_notice/yi.
>
> I hope this answers your question adequately.

I think that Percy is trying to ask how to translate that message to
Yiddish. Currently you'll see it in English even if your interface
language is Yiddish. It interests me, too.

I suppose that it can be translated in the CentralNotice interface,
but it's incredibly confusing and i prefer to use only in extreme
cases, and in any case, it cannot be used by everybody. Is there a
proper page for translating this important banner? I couldn't find
anything like it.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬