[Translators-l] On "core languages", again

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 09:44:57 UTC 2011

Jon Harald Søby, 22/10/2011 20:32:
> I don't really understand your question... Can you elaborate?

Sure. There's been some discussion about the WMF highlights, because
it's not clear how the languages for which to solicit translations were
chosen. Similarly, this survey allows translation only in some
languages, and it's not clear how they were chosen.
This is a perennial problem, as shown by the number of old drafts and
discussions about it
(https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Transcom#Core_set_of_languages ), and
looks like we need to provide a solution as soon as possible. It's not
possible to define a single list of "core languages", but we could
provide translation requesters with some guidelines so that they don't
have to reinvent the wheel every time.

Nemo