[Translators-l] a suggestion to migrate translations to the Translate extension

KIZU Naoko aphaia at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 17:37:27 UTC 2011

Respectfully disagreed, Amir, that was not perfectly suited.

For example, "First" and "Last" variables in the language page were
translated literally which had been meant first and last names in some
language (I wouldn't like to mention what it was, it's a bit
embarassment, eh?) - and a certain donor complained to otrs that they
were meaningless. I'd have liked it were easier in twn to view a
certain valuable would be used in which context, if MediaWiki
developers could not avoid their anglocentric attitude totally; it
couldn't happen when these valuables had been named "name" and
"surname".

As said, I'm not totally happy and unworried on translatewiki.net
environment, but on the other hand, such error was nothing to do with
Translate extention discussed on this thread. Giving a consideration
to include it meta or heavily translation needed wikis is welcome in
my personal opinion.

So dear translators what do you think about that?

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 7:35 PM, Amir E. Aharoni
<amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:
> 2011/3/13 Paul Selitskas <p.selitskas at gmail.com>:
>> I'll copy my comment to Siebrand (supposing @translatewiki is him) on this idea:
>> ≪the idea is good, but translating non-technical texts into other
>> languages is not obvious (i.e. message to message translations.)≫
>>
>> What do I mean? From language to language way of expressing phrases
>> may differ. In one language one may be expressed with one sentence, in
>> another it can be expressed with two sentences (if you follow style
>> rules for the language). In its turn, these sentences may be connected
>> with the next or the previous ones by implication. So you can't just
>> translate sentences somewhere near 'out of context'.
>
> This is true. The Translate extension, at least in its current state,
> is not be suitable for every translation task.
>
> But it is already perfectly suited for surveys, Fundraising landing
> pages and CentralNotice.

KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
member of Wikimedians in Kansai  / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会 http://kansai.wikimedia.jp