[Translators-l] Wikipedia Editors Survey 2011

Eleri James elerijms at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 16 08:39:41 UTC 2011

If 'anonymize' means that the raw data from the survey is ditched after being 'anonymized' then there is no practical way for WMF to be required to hand over information in response to a subpoena. But if the raw data is retrievable, then I don't understand how this data escapes from being subject to potential disclosure to outside law enforcement agencies in the US, as explained in the WMF general privacy policy. Are surveys specifically excepted in the US laws covering access to data held by US organizations? In practice it is highly unlikely that any law enforcement agency will be interested in someone's editing habits on Wikipedia. But your statement of confidentiality makes a sweeping promise of confidentiality, which does not mention the exception with regard to law enforcement agencies in the general policy. Have you had a legal opinion on the potential consequences in the unlikely event of the survey data being subject to a subpoena, given that
 you are promising not to disclose any information? Do you regard the risk as so small that you prefer to stick with the promise of non-disclosure in the face of a subpoena?

Regards,
Eleri James