[Translators-l] Wikipedia Mobile Readers Survey 2011

Mani Pande mpande at wikimedia.org
Fri Jul 29 21:38:26 UTC 2011

Hi Olin,
We decided to have a smaller set of languages since we are limited by
the resources that we have available for programming, data cleaning and
analysis. We had to make some tough choices to arrive at this list of
languages. We were guided by data on mobile page views from
stats.wikimedia.org, strategic importance of regions & countries and
type of language (character, left to right etc.).
We leaned towards languages that we know get a lot of mobile page views,
plus the importance of the country in the strategic plan and tried to
ensure that we had different types of language in the mix so we can come
to know usability issues on phones.
Thanks for understanding
Mani

On 7/28/11 9:37 PM, Olli wrote:
> Why you only accept those languages?
>
> Olli
>
> 2011/7/28 Casey Brown <lists at caseybrown.org <mailto:lists at caseybrown.org>>
>
>     Hello everyone,
>
>     The Global Development Department at the Wikimedia Foundation is
>     running another survey, this time focusing on mobile readers rather
>     than editors. This is another important survey that will help us
>     understand a lot more about the people who use mobile services and how
>     our mobile sites can be improved.
>
>     This translation request is a little different than most translation
>     requests. Instead of accepting translations in any language people are
>     willing to translate it to, we will only be accepting translations in
>     a few specific languages. Here is the list of languages:
>     * English (en)
>     * Japanese (ja)
>     * Spanish (es)
>     * German (de)
>     * French (fr)
>     * Russian (ru)
>     * Portuguese (pt)
>     * Turkish (tr)
>     * Arabic (ar)
>     * Chinese (zh)
>
>     If your language is on that list, then we would love your help in
>     getting the survey translated. :-)
>
>     Like usual, all of the translations pages are on Meta-Wiki:
>     * Workspace:
>     <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_Mobile_Readers_Survey_2011/Translation>
>     * Source:
>     <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_Mobile_Readers_Survey_2011/Translation/en>
>
>     The deadline for translations is Wednesday, August 10, 2011.
>
>     Thank you all for your help! If you have any questions, feel free to
>     send them to me, this list, or post to the talk page on Meta-Wiki.
>
>     Thanks again,
>     Casey
>
>     --
>     Casey Brown