[Translators-l] Second 2011 Editor Survey - "Article Feedback Tool"

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il
Fri Dec 9 09:41:28 UTC 2011

2011/12/8 Mani Pande <mpande at wikimedia.org>:
> another good thing to remember is that most editors edit English Wikipedia

Do they? It's possible that most editors in general edit the English
Wikipedia, but i am quite sure that a lot of the Hebrew Wikipedia
editors look at the English Wikipedia quite rarely, and that's a
country in which many people know English.

> so even if their primary Wikipedia is Hebrew they might have come across
> Wikilove on English. But I would still look into deleting the question for
> Hebrew.

In particular for Hebrew, don't treat the results about the Article
Feedback Tool from the Hebrew Wikipedia editors the same way you treat
results from other languages. The AFT in English (with the stars) is
not installed in Hebrew, but there is a different custom feedback
tool. I, personally, don't like it, but at least some people in the
he.wp community do. Some editors may reply about the English AFT and
others may reply about the local tool.

Other projects may also have their local feedback tools. I believe
that Hungarian, Polish and Russian Wikipedias had various tools at
various times.

To make it clearer you could do two things:
1. Don't ask people who don't edit Wikipedias with the AFT about the AFT.

2. Add a screenshot of the AFT to the question. "Article Feedback
Tool" is a very generic name.

It probably won't be done this time, but please consider this for the
next survey.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬