[Translators-l] WIKIMEDIA 2010 FUNDRAISER: Call for Translations!

Sam Chapman schapman at wikimedia.org
Fri Oct 22 22:51:12 UTC 2010

Hello Wikimedians, my name is Sam and I am working for the Wikimedia
Foundation during the 2010 Fundraiser as the liaison between language
communities and the Foundation. This year's fundraiser is intended to be
a collaborative and global effort; we recognize that banner messages
which may perform well in the United States don't necessarily translate
well, or appeal to all audiences. And no one knows better what will
appeal to specific language communities than their own readers and editors.

We're currently asking volunteer chapters and language communities to
help us maximize the potential of the fundraiser by getting deeply
involved in the messaging, planning, and execution of this year’s
fundraiser. We want everyone in the community to get involved to make
sure we have a fundraiser that represents all of us. Our first steps are
to suggest and translate banners, and start a discussion in your
community. What can we do to improve Fundraising and localize messages?
On the Fundraising meta page we've started the banner suggestion
process, analysis of tested banners, and recruiting volunteers.

I'm here both to answer questions as they come up and to listen to your
feedback about what types of messaging will work and won't work. We'll
constantly be tweaking or changing things, based on your input, to try
to make everything as perfect as possible for the readers and donors in
your language and region.
Use the talk pages on meta, talk to your local communities, talk to
others, talk to us, and add your feedback to the proposed messages as
well. I look forward to working with you during this year's fundraiser,
please feel free to contact me with any suggestions or questions about
the fundraiser this year. If someone could translate this message I
would really appreciate it so that everyone is able to understand our
goals and contribute to this year's campaign.Thank you.

Fundraising 2010 meta: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2010
Banner submissions:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2010/Messages
Fundraising Committee:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2010/Committee
Banners we've tested so far:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2010/Banner_testing
All the best,
Sam
--

Sam Chapman
Community Associate

schapman at wikimedia.org

Imagine a world in which every human being can freely share in
the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!