[Translators-l] Fundraiser issues

KIZU Naoko aphaia at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 13:38:41 UTC 2010

I got a similar question from a supposedly Japanese reader who is in
Australia, which has its own chapter. She misunderstood WMF didn't
offer Japanese landing page and kindly offer to volunteer
translations. :D

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 5:13 AM, Philippe Beaudette
<pbeaudette at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Nov 22, 2010, at 12:04 PM, Casey Brown wrote:
>
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Redaktor/פוילישער
>
> Yeah, I know, but the URL would give us lots of details... see this
> one for example, which came from clicking on a yiwikipedia banner:
>
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php?title=WMFJA1/yi&utm_source=2010_JA1_Banner3_rtl&utm_medium=sitenotice&utm_campaign=ThursdayOpeningTest&referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fyi.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2F%25D7%2594%25D7%2595%25D7%2599%25D7%25A4%25D7%2598_%25D7%2596%25D7%2599%25D7%2599%25D7%2598
>
> When you give us that, I can see automatically what landing page you
> reached, what banner you clicked on, and what wiki page you were on.
>
> And what country the url decided you were in... that's the other critical
> bit of info in the url.
> Casey's quite right - these are critical for troubleshooting.

Is there any change or fix of this issue? If someone is in a foreign
country with a chapter, there is no other mean but their one local
language page? One local language I say because this year no lang menu
seems not be given, and it's a trouble for those who wants to switch
the lang. I'm also afraid it would be a problem in multiligual nations
like CH.

It's no criticism, just a description. I just want a summary of the
situation to give an answer to that kind lady in Australia which we at
OTRS got last week.

Cheers,

> Not a single fragment of the Yiddish translation of the fundraiser appears
>
> anywhere.
>
> Hmm, I see Yiddish banners on yiwiki *and* I reach a Yiddish language
> page... so your translations *have* been published.  I'm not sure what
> issue you're running into.  I remember seeing that you were in England
> somewhere, so maybe the issue is that you're getting redirected to the
> Wikimedia UK landing page, so you don't see the Yiddish Wikimedia
> Foundation donat page?
>
> This is where the URL would come in handy. :-)
>
> Yep.  We've published a lot of Yiddish, so the URL would be critical.

> Philippe Beaudette
> Head of Reader Relations
> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
>
> pbeaudette at wikimedia.org
>
> Imagine a world in which every human being can freely share
> in the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!
> http://donate.wikimedia.org

KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
member of Wikimedians in Kansai  / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会 http://kansai.wikimedia.jp