[Translators-l] Translation unuseless ?

Casey Brown lists at caseybrown.org
Mon Dec 13 19:51:02 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Michael Wolf <milupo at sorbzilla.de> wrote:
> Current state for Upper Sorbian and Lower Sorbian Wikipedias:
>
> 1. Banner leads to the page in German of Wikimedia chapter Germany
> 2. Link "Donate" in sidebar leads to the "GERMAN!" version of Jimmy's appeal
> 3. The new banner has German text.

Again, this is because Wikimedia Deutschland has fundraising powers in
Germany, so you are getting WMDE's banners.  (They're currently
running an appeal from Pavel, which has banners that are just in
German.)

If you want to see if you can translate those banners and pages into
hsb and dsb, you'll have to ask WMDE, unfortunately.

> These three points reduce translation of fundraiser texts for minority
> languages to absurdity! My translations appear *nowhere*.

I'm sorry it feels this way, but, again, your translations *are*
published: <http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/WMFJA1/hsb> /
<http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/WMFJA1/dsb>

If you were not in Germany, you *would* see your translations and you
would see what I see: <http://hsb.wikipedia.org/?country=US> /
<http://dsb.wikipedia.org/?country=US>.  If you were someone living in
the part of Lusatia in Poland, or you were in the United States, you
would see your translation.

> Why is not linked to site
>
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate/Now/hsb
>
> as in the last years?

That's last year's donation page, not this year's.

> That's a good survey of fundraiser.
>
> Regards,
> Michael

Casey Brown