[Translators-l] volunteer.wikimedia.org

Tisza Gergő gtisza at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 13:08:51 UTC 2009

Philippe Beaudette <pbeaudette <at> wikimedia.org> writes:
> Thanks for your comments about these translations.  As you know, the interface
translations were sort of a mess - there were interface elements that we didn't
know about until almost the last moment.  Rather than present them totally in
English, we made the conscious decision to get what we could from previous forms
and other places, and know that some of it would be flawed.  The alternative
would be to send out ANOTHER request for translation, which we didn't want to
do, because translators had already done so much on this project and we didn't
want to keep hammering you with requests, particularly for things to happen in a
very short amount of time.

If you need a few very short phrases translated quickly, the best approach is
probably asking around on the #wikipedia-<language> IRC channels, or the local
versions of the Village Pump (which you can find through the interwiki links). I
very much doubt that anyone would find a request to translate "Volunteer now"
burdensome.

> Going forward, your solution (add a section for button so that we can manually
update flawed translations) is a good one.  Any that are added, I'll get updated
as quickly as possible.  In the meantime, if there's something particularly
horrible, feel free to send me a private mail and I'll see what we can do.

The largest languages seem to have translations already:

http://strategy.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&redirs=1&search=button+prefix%3ACall+for+participation%2FAppeal+letter%2F&fulltext=Search&ns0=1&ns106=1&ns107=1

Hopefully these can be added quickly.