[Translators-l] [Fundraiser 2009] Translations

Hanna Björk sweetadelaide at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 16:00:11 UTC 2009

I have some questions.

Phase 3

    * Since these phrases will be used as shown in
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:NoticeTemplate howcome there
isn't the phrase "Our Goal" to be translated? These two words are in
many of the sitenotices, should they not be translated?

Phase 5

    *  The slogans of course often can't be directly translated, you
need to make up something in a similar vein instead. Understanding the
original slogans is a help, however. So I just wonder what the phrase
“I believe us” means. To me, it looks like a word is missing.

Donation Pages

    * "This is where we protect Wikipedia, the encyclopedia written by
the people." What does "people" mean here. Aren't all encyclopaedias
written by people? Does it mean "Ordinary people"? "You and me"?

    * Should the page in all languages contain boxes to tick, saying
how many _dollars_ you give? Quotes from donors - all English speaking
- and donation specifically in dollars... feels a bit like this is an
American thing, the rest of us are not really invited in the same way.
Now I don't know how the system works but if it can be just omitted,
that seems to me like the best.

Other lines to translate

    * Policies. Just which policies do the word refer to?
    * Just what benefactors are we talking about - donors in general,
or something else?

Best regards
/Hanna