[Translators-l] "Inside Wikimedia" Video

Mark W mwpnl at wikipedia.be
Sun Jan 18 16:05:19 UTC 2009

Hear hear!
I must say i finished translating the words about 10 days ago, but I agree
with Takashi on this. For instance:

   - I don't know how long every subtitle will be "on screen" - Dutch people
   read slower then they hear so I must shorten some sentences
   - I don't know how people "mean" what they say: are they reffering to
   what the previous speaker said or is it just a fragment?
   - Translating sentences is not the same as translating the *meaning* of
   what someone says, especially in subtitling.

Subtitling has some rules here in Holland too - even worse: there even are
educational institutions for it. With the movie and timecodes I could change
the subtitles so that they actually fit on the screen and are to be read in
the limited time.

Mark Wesbeek
nl-wikipedia