[Translators-l] "Inside Wikimedia" Video

Takashi OTA supertakot+translators at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 15:48:01 UTC 2009

Hi lists,

I propose putting a movie onto dotsub or somewhere else
instead of translating on a wiki.

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
> There's a new video currently in final production that will be used to
> help inform people about the Wikimedia Foundation and its staff.  You
> can help translate the transcript in the same way as the fundraising
> video[1], by translating its subtitles.

Could we watch the video in advance to translate it?
Or could we have a transcript with time code such as:

Fundraising 2007/Video with Jimmy subtitles/Translations/en
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2007/Video_with_Jimmy_subtitles/Translations/source

Or, if there are notes how many seconds they take to say sentences,
that also may be useful.

I remember when I've worked on making subtitles of the "Truth in
Numbers" trailer on dotsub.
http://dotsub.com/view/644496b9-2053-4ce1-ac11-aff05091985e

We have very limited spaces to put words on subtitles.
Making subtitles is restricted how long they take to pronounce certain
phrases. I think it's completely different job as we _translate_
written sentences.
Sometimes we have to drop some words to be translated due to shortage of time.
In addition, there are quite a few rules and tips to
make subtitles (at least in Japanese.)
Just translating the original into other languages makes not so much
as a subtitle, IMHO.

How about putting the movie on the dotsub or something like that?

--Takashi