[Translators-l] Fwd: Updates to secure poll

Tisza Gergő gtisza at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 09:56:28 UTC 2009

Re after some delay:

Casey Brown <lists <at> caseybrown.org> writes:

> On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 5:33 PM, Tgr<gtisza <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > It is a waste of translators' time to translate the SecurePoll admin
> > interface to dozens of languages, which is what most of the voting-related
> > translation requests (including this one) are about. Only a handful of
> > people have access to that interface, and it is quite unlikely that any one
> > of them doesn't understand English. It would be nice if the voter and admin
> > interface of SecurePolls could be split into separate translation groups.
> >

> Usually I'd agree with you, except that we're translating the
> MediaWiki extension on betawiki so that it can be used on all
> MediaWiki installations.  I'm sure there's a Hungarian wiki (for
> example the Hungarian chapter) out there that might want to use this
> extension, and just imagine how happy they'd be when they realize it's
> already been translated by a nice person!

Translator time is a very scarce resource, in Hungarian about half of the
requests are never done, and I doubt it's very different for the other smaller
languages. So it is not a good idea to mix in maybe-useful-but-unimportant
requests; if we have to choose whether the admin interface or one more candidate
summary should display in the local language, the latter is far more preferable.