[Translators-l] Translators-l Digest, Vol 38, Issue 1

Huji huji.huji at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 04:36:33 UTC 2008

 I wonder how many of the translations from translatewiki that shows

> such an outstandig quality as
> <
> http://translatewiki.net/wiki/MediaWiki:Expensive-parserfunction-warning/da
> >
> does.
>
>  The attempt at translating the original text, "Warning: This page
> contains too many expensive parser function calls." to danish is
> actually worse than what Googles translator suggests. An attempt to
> translate back to english from the munged attempt at danish is
> something like "Warning: This page also contains many costly analyse
> the function phone call."

 I lead the Persian translations to MediaWiki and its extensions, and to
Wikimedia translations. I seem to be a bit obcessive about those
translations in the first look; it is because I've experienced it over and
over, that a non-programmer's translation of messages is usually incorrect
or at least inaccurate. I don't question Betawiki, because I believe it is
one of the greatest ideas to implement "wiki" nature into software
translation; what I question is letting people with little understanding of
programming, to translate such jargon-filled sentences and phrases, without
even a "qqq" comment explaining to them what, for example, "parser call" is.
We need to find an organized way to help interested people translate better.

Hojjat (aka Huji)