[Translators-l] Translation Commitee's meeting report (2007/03)

Christophe Henner christophe.henner at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 20:06:53 UTC 2007

On 11/03/07, Guillaume Paumier <guillom.pom at gmail.com> wrote:
> Good evening,
>
> On 3/11/07, Christophe Henner <christophe.henner at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > == Where to work? ==
> > Actually the transcom does work on meta., and for translations it's
> > enough. But an issue has been raised, can't the TransCom become the
> > core committee between
> > the different communities and the foundation. On a first time we can
> > continue to translate the Press Statement, and the stuff from the
> > foundations, I do believe this
> > kind of translations needs to be easily reachable by the community.
> > meta. is a mess, newcomers can't find anything. If we want to have
> > more volunteers implicated in the foundation,
> > we need to be attractive. To get people involved we need to provide a
> > place where the community can find easily the main information, here
> > comes the idea of a "translation wiki".
> > It would be a wiki with important information, press statement,
> > foundation announcement, chapters report,  etc... translated in many
> > languages. A wiki of this kind would be a way to
> > tempt people, and get them involved either in the foundation or their
> chapter
>
> I don't see the problem with going on using meta for translation. If you
> think translations are difficult to find on meta, you can create a
> "translation portal" (it seems to me it already exists as [[m:TR]] but I may
> be wrong). We are precisely closing some "peripheral" wikis because
> information is split in many places and that makes it difficult to find it.
> Opening yet another wiki will not attract more people, but it is a damn good
> way to lose people on the road.
>
> --
> Guillaume Paumier
> [[m:User:guillom]]
> http://www.wikimedia.org

As you can read on the very first lign of this section meta. is enough
for translations :)

What I'm speaking about is wider. Actually we have big communities,
but what about a core Community. Are we enough volounteer? No we're
not. Is it easy for volounteers to get involved? Not at all. What I'm
speaking about is linking the communities.

This part is the long term part of the meeting. It's not something to
do tommorrow but something we have to begin to set up.

This part was "start reflexion", and I will continue to push it
forward with the recruitment of the volounteer coordinator. We need
more internal communication, and meta. is not right for this, it will
be easier to have a main community wiki and then guide them where they
can help.
--
schiste