[Translators-l] IRC guidelines

Casey Brown cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 21:02:28 UTC 2007

On 8/10/07, Aphaia <aphaia at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/10/07, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I noticed today that the IRC Guidelines
> > (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_guidelines) weren't
> > translated into other languages even though they supposedly apply to
> all.
>
> I haven't thought it that: is it only applied for #wikipedia,
> substantially English channel or not?

The main [[m:IRC guidelines]] page is supposed to apply to *all* project and
*all* language channels, not just the #wikipedia one or the English-speaking
ones.

> This isn't very good practice.  Do you think it should be translated?
>
> Volunteers do, and it is not the foundation matter, so the request is
> not coordinated by Transcom, while it was requested as such. I
> rejected it for request page, it should be coordinated by the original
> requester.

Not very good practice for the writers of the guidelines or the owners' of
the channels.  I would not dare to say that Transcom is bad because they are
not translating *everything*, they're entirely made up of volunteers and
can't be expected to do it all.

But it is also up to discussion on whether it is a Foundation matter, IRC is
officially unofficial, but the Foundation still owns the channels.

> > This also applis to the #wikipedia guidelines, but it looks someone beat
> me
> > to that!
> > (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_guidelines/wikipedia)
> > However, I'm not sure if they are done arguing on that page, so it may
> be
> > best to wait a little bit before you being translating.

This is the bit that *only* applies to #wikipedia.  However, the ones of the
channel say that they wish other-language users to use the channel as well.
But we can't expect them to use the channel if they can't even read the
rules that will be thrust upon them in the #wikipedia channel if they go
there.

> > Thanks, and looking forward to comments!
> >
> > --
> > Casey Brown
> > Cbrown1023
> >
> > ---
> sent
> > this address will probably get lost.

> KIZU Naoko
> Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
> * habent enim emolumentum in labore suo *

Thanks for your comments! :)

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023