[Translators-l] [Foundation-l] elections

Julien F. julien_f3 at yahoo.de
Mon Apr 9 12:48:14 UTC 2007

Hi,
In previous elections i felt unnecessary to translate
statements from candidates that stood no chance
whatsoever to get elected. Of course it is my personal
judgment of who stands a chance to get elected.

Besides if a candidate with a fair chance of getting
elected were to write a long statement (and the Erik
was elected with some looooong statement ;)) i might
try to translate everything since it's pretty
important for the community to know where the
candidate stands on several key issues.

Fruggo also has a point here : short statements may be
confusing and lack of clarity on some topic. So
setting a limit might tend to see vague statements and
blurry outlines of the candidate's program. We should
nevertheless set an indication on the length
(non-binding indication).

I would encourage Britty writing on the election page
and on the behalf of the TransCom, something like
"Remember translators do it for fun and to help the
electoral process. They feel no obligation to
translate your statement, for instance if it's too
long, gibberish, or a load of crap. Write simply, it's
the easiest way to get your point across in the
translations. Please help us helping you."

Julien.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Election_candidates_2006/En