[Translators-l] Translate "Wikimedia Foundation" or not?

habj sweetadelaide at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 15:37:59 UTC 2006

2006/12/31, Aphaia <aphaia at gmail.com>:

> For further discussion, if we have a summary of this list of
> translation/-literation, it might be helpful. Has anyone alreay begin
> to summarize?

Well, so far from this mailling list we have what I compiled below,
from translators to nine languages + what several of them have said
about the German speaking projects.

/habj

-----------

Arabic: translated to  مؤسسة ويكيميديا
sometimes translitterated  ويكيميديا فونداشين

Czech: Wikimedia Foundation left untranslated, explained as nadace
Wikimedia Foundation (nadace = "foundation")

Esperanto: translated to Fondaĵo Wikimedia

German: not translated

Hungarian: translated to Wikimedia Alapítvány

Italian: most of the times not translated, since the legal definitions
of US "foundation" and Italian "fondazione" are slightly different. If
translated, it should be more correctly specified that
Wikimedia is a "foundation according the US law" ("fondazione di diritto
statunitense").

Japanese: translated to Wikimedia Zaidan with wikimedia
translitterated in katakana, och Foundation translated to kanji for
zaidan 財団

Spanish: translated to Fundación Wikimedia

Swedish: both translated to Stiftelsen Wikimedia, and untranslated is used

Turkish: Wikimedia Vakfı (Wikimedia Foundation) the first time it
appears, then Wikimedia Vakfı on rest of the text